Try this delicious recipe of quinoa and vegetables for lunch, dinner or any side dish. If you incorporate grains in your diet, quinoa is a healthy gluten free grain that is easier on your digestive system than others. Soaking the quinoa prior to cooking can also help remove even more of that phytic acid that is potentially damaging to the body. This is an excellent recipe to incorporate healthy and nutritious vegetables in your diet.
Recipe By: Emily Martin
2/3 cups quinoa
1/4 cup chia seeds.
1 cup chicken stock
1 large leek, washed, trimmed and cut into 1/2 cm slices
1 courgette, quartered lengthwise and chopped into 1cm pieces
Handful cherry tomatoes, halved
Small sprig rosemary, chopped
Small sprig thyme, chopped
1 tbsp avocado or coconut oil
Salt and pepper to taste.
- Soak the quinoa and chia seeds in the morning, changing the water a couple of times if you can.
(Soaking is not necessary, but helps remove phytic acid, making the seeds healthier. If you don’t want to soak the seeds, just use a little more stock when you get around to cooking them)
- Heat the oil over a medium heat and color the veggies and herbs for a few minutes.
- Add the (well drained) seeds and stir to combine.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat down, cover and cook for approximately ten minutes.
- Check the liquid level and if it’s a little wet, simply cook with the lid off for a few minutes.
- Taste and season.