This lemon fennel chicken recipe will provide you with a delicious protein filled meal requiring minimum prep and cook time. Fennel is an excellent aid in speeding up your digestion and tastes amazing when paired with lemon and chicken. Use homemade chicken stock to add even more health benefits to this delicious meal!
Recipe By: Emily Martin
8 free range chicken thighs
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Juice and half the finely grated zest of one lemon, freshly squeezed
2 tbsp avocado oil
1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
1 bulb fresh fennel, thinly sliced
1 cup homemade chicken stock
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the chicken thighs into a plastic bag or a bowl and add the oil, lemon juice, zest, fennel seed, garlic, salt and pepper and mix well, coating the chicken completely. Allow to marinade for 8 hours or overnight if you can.
2. Spread the slices of fennel over the bottom of a baking or casserole dish and pour over the stock.
3. Lay the chicken thighs, skin-side up on top of the fennel and cover with foil tightly.
4. Bake in a low oven, approximately 285°F for 45 minutes
5. Remove the foil and turn up the heat to 250-390°F to crisp the skin and reduce the cooking liquid.
6. Serve the chicken on the fennel with plenty of chopped parsley.