Beef Short Ribs Paleo Style
Recipe By: Emily Martin
1. 1.5 lbs Beef Short Ribs
2. 2 leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced into 1/4″rings
3. 1 large onion, sliced thinly
4. 2 cloves garlic
5. 4 cups homemade or otherwise good quality beef stock
6. small sprig fresh thyme
7. 1 tsp sea salt (unless stock is salted)
8. 1tbsp lard or tallow
1. Heat the lard or tallow over medium-high heat in a large, heavy-bottomed pressure cooker or oven proof pan with a lid.
2. Add the onions and leeks to the hot fat and stir to coat, leave without stirring for a few minutes to allow a good amount of color to develop.
3. Stir and leave again allowing more to color. Repeat until all of the onion and leek is very well browned but not burnt.
4. Remove from the pan and immediately add the ribs.
5. The ribs will stick to the bottom of the pan, which is fine. Leave them to get a good crust and release themselves before turning and repeating with all sides until well browned all over.
6. Add the leeks and onions back to the pan and add the remaining ingredients.
7. If using a pressure cooker (worth their weight in gold in my opinion!):
Cook at pressure for 35-40 minutes before turning off the heat and allowing the pressure to dissipate before removing the lid.
(this can be accelerated by running the whole unit under a cold tap for five minutes)
Bring the heat back up and simmer until the liquid has reduced to about one and a half cups, add a dash or two of worcestershire sauce here if you like it.
If using a regular pan:
Bring all the ingredients to a simmer on the stove top.
Transfer to a 285°F oven and cook for at least two hours, or until the meat pulls easily away from the bone. Finish on the stove top as above, reducing the liquid until a thick and glossy gravy is achieved.